About Me

A college guy, studying Biomedical Engineering. Trying to understand the world, in the hopes of making it better.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Light?

So, me and the sand man are not good friends. In fact, he never seems to be on time: almost 9-12 hours late on average. I've fought with him and tried to get him to listen, some days he does, but it's always the struggle.

My personal theory is that I descend from a clan of night-watcher ninjas. "We protect the night!"

OK. Time to be serious.

I have a sleep/wake disorder by the name of Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome [DSPS]. I got this diagnosis after a year of almost [emphasis is on ALMOST] sleep-failing through classes. It essentially means that your internal clock (or circadian rhythm) is out of whack and there is no quick-fix. Seriously, even sleeping pills don't work after a while...

What does work, is a long treatment with light therapy and melatonin supplements; these are used to nudge your stubborn brain towards a more suitable sleeping pattern. (For the record, it is 5AM and I am completely awake...no quick-fixes here)

The light therapy involves a lamp box, that I affectionately call "Lucifer's Light", and is meant to be used regularly every morning. It is effective and I have seen results, so I am thankful for it.

What is really cool is that light therapy may also help with depression.

So, I have a double whammy motivation to be more diligent.

not to be forgotten: HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Not all light therapy boxes are created equal. Many of us fall into the trap of buying the most expensive expecting it to be the best. However, price doesn’t always translate to quality. A search of blue light therapy devices revealed that there are a number on the market today, each with their own advantages and disadvantages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed. Thank you for pointing that out. Mine was recommended by the Sleep Disorder center I'm working with.

    ReplyDelete