About Me

A college guy, studying Biomedical Engineering. Trying to understand the world, in the hopes of making it better.

Friday, November 26, 2010

The Physics of Coffee Rings

I'm trying to imagine how this came about: "I can't think of anything truly profound, a legacy to leave. Darn, this is good coffee. But where should I look for inspiration. Oh yeah, that hits the spot. If only this coffee could provide the answers as well... wait a minute!"

I kid of course. It's great that they found inspiration in an everyday phenomenon. Makes me realize that we are surrounded by little mysteries all the time.

"For centuries, intellectuals have met at the ring-stained surfaces of coffee shops to pore over the most pressing problems of the day -- but has anyone ever pondered the coffee rings they left behind? What causes the formation of stain patterns left behind by coffee droplets on a surface?"
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/101123191303.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment