Anyways, I like to follow the research and discoveries as best I can in the eclectic fields I am interested in. One of which is mental health [side note: the taboos surrounding mental health issues are a drain on the entirety of society and in my opinion, a bunch of codswallop (I try to avoid cursing)]. An interesting study that was done recently involved checking on on people to see what they were thinking about throughout the day. They found a correlation between how often one was thinking about 'other things' - as opposed to being in the 'present' - and mental health issues [I forget the exact details, but I'll post the link once I'm done with my point.]
I found this particularly interesting because many philosophies, that I have bought in to and 'tried' out, about meditation and spirituality revolve around the concept of being in the 'present' [I admit that my knowledge and exposure may be rather limited] and how that is the key to happiness [this also seems to be a theme in quite a few self-help books... hmm, someone needs to write a paper on the symbiotic evolution of self-help books and religion in practice... ]. I have tried many times to gain control over my mind and be in the present - I suspect there is a lot of other baggage in the way that I will continue to work through before I get 'there'.
So, these pesky thoughts are still bothering me and meditation isn't really helping, even with a mantra. I've decided to take the brute force approach - I'm going to take a pen and a paper and write down the mantra (i.e. "I will not let others negativity bring me down") at least 25 times [or 50 or 100]. It's the best way I can think of until I can truly control my mind's teeterings.
As for the title: who's really in charge?
Is it our free will or our mind's predispositions and the 'baggage' we carry. I think it's the latter for most of us - even the most successful, perhaps especially the most 'successful'. Maybe one day we'll focus on mental health as part of the education system and will have a truly healthier society, where we can keep our emotions in perspective and allow reason to govern more of our lives. Maybe that's exactly what the world needs...?
The article:
"People spend 46.9 percent of their waking hours thinking about something other than what they're doing, and this mind-wandering typically makes them unhappy." http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/101111141759.htm
Yo tarboo..Have you heard about Bhutan's GNH or Gross National Happiness? It could be that step forward.
ReplyDeleteHey Robo, thanks for taking the time to read through that post :)
ReplyDeleteI have heard of Bhutan's GNH, however I don't know much about it. I think it's a great idea and the fact that it exists is wonderful. However, have they taken further steps to ensure a mentally healthy society beyond making it a goal?